March 29, 2011

memory of Studio Ghibli

my Totoro puzzles!
some were given to friends who adore Ghibli too.That's my Tamago Hime (Egg Princess)
Totoro says "Yokoso, konnichiwa!" at the gate.
This, was magical.I stared at it for good ol 15 minutes, maybe more.everything moves!
Neko/cat bus.Sadly I wasn't permitted to play in it sigh.
ok I missed this spot!damn
Jiji sitting on the pipe.
my version of Laputa robot.
the postcard ver
one of Miyazaki sensei's room.this is where the man brought our fav characters to life.
poster that I got.
details on windows.
inside the museum.
some of the stuff I hauled.
the ticket.this comes with a free short film screening, it was Mr Dough & Egg Princess.I regret not getting the book!argh!
damage that was done..uhm more than that actually.I regret not getting more :(
Totoro that accompanied me all the way from Tokyo back to Spore.He's sitting with me while I'm typing this.

This post is dedicated to my memory in Studio Ghibli, Mitaka, Japan.

Hayao Miyazaki sensei, thank you for your stories that keep us alive.Joe Hisaishi-san, thank you for creating beautiful melody that goes along with our imagination.Studio Ghibli, thank you for the memories.

Listening to Joe Hisaishi's Kaze no Toori Michi (Path of Wind) while typing this, imagining the big tree grows, Totoro, Satsuki & Mei chanting (sort of) together in my mind. Totoro is an icon in Japan.People of all ages, from all walks of life knew this imaginary creature created by Hayao Miyazaki.Some people would say Studio Ghibli is an Asian answer to West Walt Disney.Could be true but I chose not to compare these two, both produced great films that accompanied most of us while growing up.No doubt, I'd choose Studio Ghibli anytime of the day.I chose to visit Studio Ghibli instead of Tokyo Disneyland.March 11, 2011: the day the disaster happened in Northern Japan, shaken people of Japan.

From my observation after the tour, Hayao Miyazaki is:
: a heavy smoker, a coffee drinker.The ashtray was full with cigarette butts.Coffee at his drawing table.Some snacks, peanuts and mints.Like those sore throat mints in tin boxes.
: a reader, or person who collects books.He has like dozens & dozens of books, from gardening to military, revolution et cetera.Some scene from My Neighbour Totoro, which Satsuki's & Mei's father room will explains best how Miyazaki's room looks like.
: there were many books laying around.I thought I'd see only books in just a room, I was wrong.More books in other rooms piled up.I'd like to stay there & read all those books.
: he probably collects, for not wanting to waste the pencils that he used.There was a big jar of those short pencils.I do not know what you call those..
: all his sketches, drawings, watercolour jars,tubes,brushes were up for display.I was playing with Miyazaki sensei's drawing tools!*sniffles*
:He snapped photos from his traveling days.There were few photo albums contained, like details on gates, mirrors etc.This inspires me to do so, research.
: there were photo frames & photos of European from ..I do not know what era.I guess it's safe to say, some of his works are influenced by European arts/revolution.Like say, in Howl's Moving Castle & Kiki's Delivery Service.
: will add once I remember more..

As photography weren't allowed in the museum, I bought some postcards and snapped pictures of it for you to see how the museum looks like.I remember reading somewhere, reason why photography aren't allowed is because Miyazaki wants the visitors to pay attention to the details and let your brain absorb things you see and imprint it in your mind instead.Guess it works.Most of the time I was in awe how the tiny little details that were put together to bring all these creatures alive even though it's just figures and not real life mascot like you see in Disneyland/Universal Studio.I will definitely return to this place in the future & meet Totoro at the reception.(forgotten to snap pic of Totoro as I ran into the museum instead and missed him sigh).If you have the chance, please do visit this place.I cannot describe how awesome the experience was (add earthquake, mind you).The ticket will only cost you 1000Yen.When you in Japan, head to Lawson.Better yet, get your Japanese friend to do for you (was lucky a friend helped) or the staff.Details here: http://www.lawson.co.jp/ghibli/museum/ticket/english.html

When you're there, pay attention to the tiniest details.Everything is so well assembled together, I might have missed a few stuff.From the entrance, to windows, sink, chair etc.


またね!

edit: if you're planning to go, get the tickets as soon as possible.Might be impossible if it's a weekend.I got my tickets 3 days earlier, for Friday but my friend had trouble to get me the earlier time slot because it was sold out.You'll be surprised when you see the crowd, most of them were local.From little kids as young as 3 to adults.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

amazing & gorgeous photos babe. Would definitely love to visit the museum one day. :)

fairy fairuz said...

thanks dear!glad you liked it.Most of it are postcards.The details are too amazing, most of the time I forgot to snap pictures!

yea please go if you have the chance.I'd definitely go again :)

Anonymous said...

Did you use 'Instagram' iPhone application for all your photos or you own a lomograph camera? Loving all the photos! :D

fairy fairuz said...

ehhh Nana !!haha!hiii.thanks :D

nope, it's LomoLomo.If your Iphone is not jailbroken then you can get the free version,LemeLeme.almost the same :D

I owned 1 Holga tho :)